Sunday, January 27, 2013

Goodwill at Natrona Heights


I could probably do a review of thrift stores in the United States because I have been to all of them. Goodwill, Salvation Army, St Vincent de Paul (SVDP) are some of the big ones close by.

In my opinion patronizing a thrift store instead of buying new, is one of the best ways to tread lightly on our planet. You know the motto "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle"? If we cut back on acquisition of Stuff (Reduce), we minimize our carbon footprint. If I were to get Stuff that I need, I always try to acquire used goods (Reuse). At least then I'm not adding to the demand for new goods. And if there's Stuff I no longer need, I always try to sell, recycle or give away, so that someone else can continue to use it or so that it can be turned into something else that's useful. We buy so much Stuff here in the US, probably because Stuff is so cheap. Then after just one season this stuff particularly clothing is donated to Goodwill. Only 20% of goods donated to Goodwill are successfully sold. The rest end up in the landfill.

I love Goodwill and have found many things that I needed there. I know of folks who make a living by picking up stuff from Goodwill and reselling it on eBay. I once sold a digital oven thermometer for $75, which I bought for a buck then figured i didn't need it.

Goodwill in Natrona Heights is right next to Walmart on Freeport Road. The place is clean and doesnt smell stuffy, selection is decent and so are the prices - shirt for $3, kids clothing is cheaper. The staff are friendly and helpful too. Donating is easy - just pull up to the back entrance and someone will come out immediately to unload the goodies.

Happy Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave a comment!